Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Knitting


In this day in age, is knitting a ridiculous, frivolous activity? Yes, but so is baking bread. And, what compares to the smell of freshly baked bread or the feel of custom made sweater? Nothing.

My geeky husband thinks knitting is the equivalent of churning butter. I think some of his hobbies are weird too. It gives me solace and peace. It gives me a creative outlet with problem-solving, sometimes, okay, frequently, frustrating puzzles to solve.

I don't know why I love it so much. I used to avoid knitting in public. I thought I was too cool to knit with the girls in college. Now, I don't give a damn. I just do it.

It is a luxury to knit. I don't often have the time, the money or the mental space to devote myself to this craft. I guess it's like gardening--a craft that you can practice for a lifetime and still have more to do and learn.

By the way, I really like to garden, too.

No comments: