Thursday, April 13, 2006

Passover

Today is Passover. We are not having a seder because it's complex and a lot of work. We're not religious, but we want to teach our kids some traditions.

My beliefs are slim at best. I worry that my kids will not feel grounded. I fear that they will become Hare Krishnas.

My sister and mother sent the kids a big box of Easter loot. Zoe wants the Easter bunny to visit her house. It's tough on a lot of levels. I don't want my kids to be Christians, but I have a lot of weird attatchments to rituals and making family traditions.

I argue with Bob, my husband, about this around the big holidays. He doesn't do much to make the kids understand and celebrate Jewish holidays. He doesn't go to temple, he doesn't have any Jewish friends, and he doesn't spend time with his Jewish relatives. Yet he wants to raise the kids Jewish.

Of course, the mom is usually the one who does this sort of thing. Even for secular holidays, I'm the one making the Halloween costumes or making Valentines cookies. Bob teaches Zoe how to install more memory into her computer.

No comments: