Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Off to Mexico, for dental work

Tomorrow, I am flying to Phoenix, AZ. Then I will drive 200 miles to Yuma, AZ. Yuma is a border town with Mexico.

In the past, I have enjoyed visiting Mexico for several wonderful vacations. This time it's purely economic. I'm going to Mexico for dental work. I need four root canals with crowns and a couple fillings done. Sadly, given the state of my teeth, I need either a second mortgage on my house or a trip south of the border.

In North Carolina, a going rate for one root canal and crown costs around $2,000. My dental plan will pay for a small part. But, it does not cover crowns, and has a cap of $1,500 per person per year. I need at least 4, maybe a few more. That would cost me $8,000.

In Mexico, a full root canal, x-rays, build-up and crown cost $375!

The Mexican dentist that I'm going to comes highly recommended by my mother-in-law who has been to see them a couple times. She lives in AZ, and has had fairly complex work done with them. I trust her opinion. Even so, I'm nervous.

I'll update the blog with my progress. While I prefer to head south of the border for some real guacamole (and maybe a margarita or two, too!) Wish me luck and think of me under the drill, not under a sombrero.

2 comments:

noricum said...

Eep! I hope everything goes well! (And that you don't end up in a situation like this again. Why did you need so many at once? Do you visit the dentist regularly?)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How has it all gone? Are you happy with the results? Hope it's not hurting too much!