Thursday, April 19, 2007

T.V. time

 


There is an ongoing struggle between the parents and the kids in our home. The struggle can get pretty ugly at times. They want more T.V. time, and we want them to have less. As you can see from these pictures, they are transfixed by T.V.

We do place strict limits on T.V. time because these kids would watch T.V. all day if we let them. We try to limit them to a half an hour a day on school nights. In fact, there's lots of nights with none because we run out of time.

It's a bit of a struggle with the adults too. I enjoy many programs. Bob doesn't watch ANY. So, I'm the bad influence on the kids. Lately we've been watching a stunning series on the Discovery channel. Planet Earth show. For years, I've enjoyed watching the PBS Nature show. As he passes by, Bob just groans, "Oh, no, more sea otters!"

On the weekends, I have started a tradition of Saturday movie night. I enjoy movies and want to have some fun traditions with my kids. Since most of the movies are animation or other mind-numbing, rated-G ilk, I get in some reading or take up my knitting.

We've recently started using REDBOX $1 per night DVD rentals. So easy, cheap and good, I dropped Netflicks. As we say in Boston, they are wicked pissa.

So, we rent a movie, we make popcorn, and we have some T.V. time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, i can relate to the kids and t.v. thing. my nephew does not get to watch much t.v. at home because of poor reception and a mom who won't spring for cable/satellite so when they are in shore, it's like crack for him- hard for us to get his attention and pry him away. my one sister plans to "break" her t.v. before his next visit so she can get him to pay more attention to her and get him to go do stuff more easily. sue