Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Inflation

Hey, I was interviewed last week because the cost of school lunch is going up by ten cents. Sadly, I end up sounding rather pompous. Here's the full story.

I can handle this minor increase of ten cents. It's just one of the many costs of having children. You are obliged to buy or make their lunch.

I think about the women who work to prepare these meals. To me, they are heroic. I could not cope with 600 children every day. I do hope that these workers are given an increase so that they can feed their children. On July 1, the minimum wage in North Carolina increased to $6.55 per hour. Let's hope that these working women earn more than the minimum wage.

When I grew up, one of six children, our family was eligible for reduced-fee school lunch. They were horrible lunches. We were served mystery meat, hot dogs and beans, sloppy joes and canned corn, and fish sticks with tater tots on Fridays. Remember Regan's draconian cuts in food stamps and school lunch programs? Remember, catsup as a vegetable?

Today, we know better. Now, kids are given options, with fresh vegtables and fruits. They don't always select the healthy stuff, but at least it's a choice.

Now, don't get me started on the price of gas.

2 comments:

noricum said...

Looking at the meal costs, those are pretty cheap even with the increase. How often have there been increases? (Have they been keeping up with inflation?)

suec said...

hi- so I didn't think you sounded pompous. really. it was a nice article.