Saturday, March 24, 2007

Carrboro Farmers' Market











Today we visited the Carrboro Farmer's Market.

We bought garden plants, cut flowers, cheese, eggs and pork. Zoe and Owen were thrilled with the pussy willows. We just had to buy a bunch of them. I remember loving pussy willows when I was a kid. I remember stroking their fuzzy tips. They grew in a neighbor's yard. We were always excited when they bloomed in the early spring.

I grew up a city kid. We used to take drives to the country to pick apples or buy pumpkins. We didn't know or understand about locally-raised produce or local farms. Our food came from the supermarket in plastic bags.

Now, I appreciate local produce and crafts. I try to visit the market with my kids at least once a month. And, we go on the farm tour, and try to grow some herbs and vegetables. It's all a part of why we moved here to improve the quality of our life.


1 comment:

jane said...

hi,

thanks for your comment on my blog about folly. it's really timely - yesterday i went to piece it together (it's been sitting finished for ages) and realized that since i've dropped a bunch of weight and it was large on me to start, that it would never be wearable. so right now am agonizing over whether to rip it out or not. i made it in a beautiful gray heathery yarn bought when we lived in germany and started the project there on a bench in munich's english garden! i bought so mcuh yarn in germanyt it would make your head spin - great prices, beautiful stuff. have mass quantities of stash now!

anyhow, what do you think i shoudl do???

jane